A sentencing hearing has wrapped up for two of the four people convicted in the death of Nature Duperron.
Premier Smith says Alberta needs more energy following grid alert
Premier Smith says Alberta needs more energy following grid alert
LETHBRIDGE, AB – Alberta’s premier believes that more needs to be done to ensure residents are not subject to frequent strains on the electrical grid.
Danielle Smith’s comments came after the Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) issued a Level 3 grid alert at 3:08 p.m. on Monday, August 28, 2023.
The AESO said the provincial power system was under stress due to a combination of hot weather, low wind energy generation, and a power outage in B.C. that impacted the intertie capability.
The internal load on the grid reached a peak of 11,188 megawatts at approximately 4:00 p.m. The pool price for electricity capped out at $999.99 per megawatt hour Monday afternoon, which fell to around $50 to $72 per megawatt hour by the following morning.
The grid alert was cancelled just after 8:00 p.m. as the AESO said the grid was once again stable and working as normal.
Smith said Alberta relies almost entirely on natural gas to power homes and businesses, supplemented with wind and solar.
On August 3, 2023, the Government of Alberta announced a seven-month pause on approving any new wind and solar energy generation projects over one megawatt, saying that it will use that time to review all policies and procedures related to renewable power.
The Pembina Institute estimated that as many as 188 projects are impacted by the pause. |Read more https://rdnewsnow.com/2023/08/29/premier-smith-says-alberta-needs-more-energy-following-grid-alert/|
#DanniAndTheGrifters #abpoli #NaturalGas #energy #ElectricalGrid
N.B. announces surplus 5 times original projection, now at $199.6M
N.B. announces surplus 5 times original projection, now at $199.6M
A surplus announced Monday by the New Brunswick government is nearly five times what it was projected to be – sitting at $199.6 million.
It was projected to be $40.3 million.
The province said the higher-than-expected surplus is due to conditional grant agreements with the federal government and disaster financial assistance funding tied to climate change.
Staff with the Department of Finance and Treasury said the conditional grants are related to labour market and workforce agreements, but couldn’t provide much clarity on what those are.
“So in the case of those two sources of revenue, really, there were dollars that were there last year that didn’t get spent,” explained Todd Selby, the director of fiscal, economic and statistical analysis for the department.
About 80 per cent of the surplus is tied to HST revenue, personal income tax and the conditional grants, according to staff with the department. |Read more https://globalnews.ca/news/9924801/new-brunswick-nb-surplus-projection/|
Job scams are on the rise in Canada. How to protect yourself
Job scams are on the rise in Canada. How to protect yourself
The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre issued an alert on Aug. 25, warning people of an increase in job opportunity fraud that could take advantage of those looking for work.
Scammers send an email or text offering freelance jobs to “boost” products, apps or videos, with the promise of payment in cheque, bank transfer or cryptocurrency, the CAFC said.
The offer will prompt victims to install software that enables fraudsters to send instructions on so-called tasks to complete.
“Victims might receive a small payment or commission in order to convince them that the job is legitimate,” the centre said in its alert.
Several variations of this type of fraud have been reported to the CAFC.
Scammers also target people who post their resumes online and offer different positions, including caregiver, data entry clerk, quality control officer, personal assistant, mystery shopper and financial agent. |Read more https://globalnews.ca/news/9925896/job-offer-fraud-canada-alert/|
Exxon sees CO2 emissions in 2050 more than twice Paris goal
Exxon sees CO2 emissions in 2050 more than twice Paris goal
Exxon Mobil Corp. sees the world failing to reduce emissions fast enough to limit global warming to 2C (3.6F) above pre-industrial norms by 2050 due to soaring economic growth, particularly in developing countries.
Energy-related carbon dioxide emissions will be 25 billion metric tons by 2050, more than twice the 11 billion tons needed to meet the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s 2-degree scenario, Exxon said Monday in its annual Energy Outlook. While that represents a drop of more than 25 per cent from the 34 billion ton peak expected this decade, it’s a long way from what’s required to meet the goals of the 2016 Paris Agreement.
By 2050, there will be 2 billion more people on the planet, an increase of 25 per cent, and rising living standards will fuel consumption for all types of energy, Exxon said. Global gross domestic product per capita, a measure of purchasing power, is expected to rise 85 per cent by 2050, increasing demand for manufacturing, commercial transportation, and other industrial activities, especially in Asia. Higher fuel efficiency will cause energy use to decline in the developed world. |Read more https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2023/8/29/exxon-sees-co2-emissions-in-2050-more-than-twice-p/|